Well it’s summer again. Time for the trifecta of grad parties, weddings, and BBQs–three types of fun occasions, and ones which we are determined not to let you miss because you don’t want to derail your healthy lifestyle goals.
Just like The Holidays, there are ways you can prepare yourself and strategies to implement during the event so that you can enjoy yourself without worrying.
- Eat before you go (don’t go to any event starving!). Pre-party ideas:
- Greek yogurt and fresh fruit
- A banana with some peanut butter
- 1-2 slices of lean meat or low fat cheese
- If there are a lot of sweets, check them all out first and then decide to eat what you want most.
- Use a dessert-sized plate and go through the food options just once.
- When making your plate, think 90% healthy options and 10% fun ones.
- If you choose a fun food, say a cookie, and you try it and don’t like it, don’t eat it! It’s okay to go back and choose something else.
- When you’re done eating, focus on the non-food benefits: catching up with friends, being able to relax outdoors, and feeling the warm breeze on your skin.
- If you have more than one grad party (or wedding–we’ve heard of that), decide on 2 things maximum per event. Treat it like one of those dinner events where you have an appetizer at one place, entree at the next, dessert at the last.
- Either cut calories or increase activity to burn off an additional 100-200 calories daily the week before the event. This allows 700-1400 additional “banked” calories. If you’re going to a wedding, the next step is to make sure to dance the night away!
- Focus on water to save calories:
- Craving pop? Get some 100% juice and add sparkling water.
- Just need to refresh? Go for regular or sparkling water and add a wedge of lemon or lime
We wish you a wonderful summer!
Note: Please talk with your educator or provider about any questions you might have, especially if you are managing an issue like diabetes. This post is not intended to serve as medical advice.